17 December 2021

Advent 2021 #16 - Elements of Islay Bn7


A pretty solid looking offering from Bunnahabhain. I’ve been liking it more and more lately, so I’m expecting good things (or I would be if I knew what it was beforehand).


Elements of Islay Bn7, Islay Single Malt, 55.7% ABV

Minutia: Distilled at Bunnahabhain in 2001 and matured in two Oloroso Sherry butts for 16 years and bottled in 2018 yielding 1620 bottles. Reviewed blind, neat in an opaque glencairn.

Color: Auburn, polished mahogany; 1.5.

Nose: Plum, malty, honey, toffee. A lot going on but hard to pin many things down. Reminds of wine.

Taste: Wine, clean whisky, sweet fruits and honey.

Finish: Malt and honey. Bitterness like grapefruit. Medium-long.

Guess: Bunnahabhain, moderate ABV; not crazy high, but above average. I wouldn’t be surprised by a Black Art.

Nice, got it. It’s a nice dram, even for someone like me who prefers peat. After a less-than-awesome introduction to Bunnahbhain, I’ve since enjoyed their peated stuff, and with an expanded palate have appreciated the unpeated stuff a good deal, and that trend just continues here.

Score: 84

Here are links to the other posts from this calendar:

202101 202102 202103 202104 202105 202106 202107- 202108 202109 202110 202111 202112 202113 202114 202115 202116 202117 202118 202119 202120 202121 202122 202123 202124 202100


No comments:

Post a Comment